NA BISTER

Podgorica (memorial) Czarnogóra

Historical background

The Partisans of Gorica Memorial (Spomenik Partizanu Borcu), located on the Gorica Hill in the capital of the country, commemorates the partisans who fought against the Italian and German occupiers during World War II.

The monument’s initiator, Islam Sejdović, a Roma from Podgorica, erected it in honor of the Roma partisans (named after his father and uncle) in the place where they were murdered in 1943 by Chetniks when they tried to escape to Shkodra in Albania.

Description of commemoration

A four-part staircase, with a stone wall on both sides, leads to the mausoleum. Downstairs, there are catacombs (no surname Sejdović among the surnames), whose entrances are guarded by monumental figures of partisans leaning on their rifles (signed “Д. Буровић 1959”). Between the figures, above the entrance, a medallion with a partisan and the dates 1941-1945. In the upper part, under the roofed mausoleum, there is a new black marble slab with the inscription: „Партизану-Борцу” (‚To Partisans-the Mighty Ones’).

 

Address

Park Šuma, the Gorica Hill, Podgorica, 19. Decembar Street

Location

42°26’58.2″N 19°15’57.6″E

42.449510, 19.266006

<iframe src=”https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m8!1m3!1d735.9941967888033!2d19.266006000000004!3d42.44951!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x0%3A0x0!2zNDLCsDI2JzU4LjIiTiAxOcKwMTUnNTcuNiJF!5e0!3m2!1spl!2sus!4v1479816714572″ width=”400″ height=”300″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border:0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

 

 

Gallery

 

Leave a Reply