NA BISTER

Karlsruhe (plaque)

Historical background

In 1933, over 500 Gypsies lived in Karlsruhe and its surrounding area. At least 200 of them were deported to concentration camps. Their history was researched by Michail Krausnick. Thanks to his archival research, we today know the role of Max Regelin, a lieutenant in the police from Karlsruhe, in the deportation of Gypsies. In the building where the commemorative plaque is located, both during the war and today there is the police headquarters.

 

Description of commemoration

A unified form of identification of individual buildings was used on the Karlsruhe market. The plaque located on the historical police station building is not a commemorative plaque, but it has a rather informational character. However, the text placed on this plaque is a way of commemorating the Gypsies – victims of National Socialism.

The plaque is located high above the line of sight (just like typical plaques with street names and numbers). It is a steel rectangle coated with blue enamel. At the upper edge there is a rounding in which the city coat of arms is placed: a red shield on which the oblique inscription “FIDELITAS” (Latin ‘faithfulness’),  in black, on a yellow sash with white contours, runs from the upper left to the lower right.

Below there is an inscription in German that introduces the history of the tenement house: creators, years of construction and tragic events that took place in this place during World War II

Inscriptions

In German:

Nach Plänen von Josef Durm mit Bauplastiken von Adolf Heer / entstand von 1890 bis 1899 dieser Bau für das // Bezirksamt. // Während des „Dritten Reichs“ wurden darin Regimegegner mißhandelt. / Von hier deportierten die Nationalsozialisten 1940 / Juden sowie Sinti und Roma in Konzentrationslager.

Translation:

This building was built in the years 1890-1899 in accordance with the architectural plans of Josef Durm and the sculptures of Adolf Heer as headquarters for the district office. During the Third Reich regime, political opponents were abused here. In 1940, the Nazis deported 1940 Jews as well as Sinti and Roma to concentration camps.

Date of the unveiling

January 27, 1996

 

Initiator

The city of Karlsruhe

 

Address

The Police Station Building

Karl-Friedrich-Straße 15, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany

 

Location

49°00’29.1″N 8°24’14.6″E

49.008095, 8.404059

<iframe src=”https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d603.7606660400684!2d8.403509738980093!3d49.008094998696514!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x0%3A0x0!2zNDnCsDAwJzI5LjEiTiA4wrAyNCcxNC42IkU!5e1!3m2!1spl!2spl!4v1544473704114″ width=”600″ height=”450″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border:0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

 

Materials

Michail Krausnick: Abfahrt Karlsruhe, Hrg. Verband der Sinti und Roma.

Michail Krausnick: Wo sind sie hingekommen, Bleicher Verlag 1995.

 

Gallery

Leave a Reply